Public Private Partnership (PPP)
Maher Ghar Scheme
In the state, many of the tribal padas do not have pukka roads. Even if pukka roads are available, there is no reliable transportation system for transferring pregnant women in labour to nearby PHC. Due to hilly area, the tribal areas do not have landline or prolonged out of order and no mobile network coverage, which makes difficult to call ambulance to transport the preganant mother to nearest PHC. This is important cause of high maternal and neonatal mortality.
To rectify the above said problems, the Government of Maharashtra, under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) has started Maher Ghar Scheme in nine tribal districts.
To ensure the mothers’ arrival in advance to PHC for safe delivery, provide residence facility to pregnant women and her younger children.
- Implementation Strategies:
A Pregnant woman is admitted in maher room before four to five days of her expected date of delivery. She is examined daily by Medical Officer, PHC. When labour starts, the woman is shifted to PHC for delivery. If any complications are detected during waiting period or during labour, the pregnant mother is transported to suitable referral center.
Under Maher Ghar Scheme, one room (Maher Ghar) is constructed in PHCs premises. The maher room has amenities like one sanitary block (Toilet and bathroom), one kitchen ota with smokeless chulha and one solar water heater system.
A pregnant woman is admitted in maher room. Her youngest child and one relative can stay with her in maher room. The RKS of PHC is identified the Self-Help group or BPL, family from local village for cleaning and maintaining of maher room and providing diet to the mother along with her child and one relative. The SHG or BPL family is paid Rs. 500 per admitted pregnant mother in Maher ghar.
- Facilities Providing Services.
Maher Ghar has been constructed in 57 PHCs of 9 districts in the state in the year 2011-12. The scheme is being implemented in Thane, Nashik (4), Nandurbar (9), Nanded (3), Amravati (9), Yavatmal (2), Gondia (13), Chandrapur (7) and Gadchiroli (8).
- Period of implementation: - The scheme is being implemented since 2010-11 in the nine districts.
- Beneficiaries: A Pregnant woman is admitted in maher room before four to five days of her expected date of delivery.
- Services available: Maher room is of one room with local building materials is constructed in PHCs premises. The maher room has amenities like one sanitary block (Toilet and bathroom), one kitchen ota with smokeless chulha and one solar water heater system. The maintains of the Maher room and supply of food to the mother and her younger child along with one relative is provided in the scheme by Self Help Groups, identified by Local RKS.
The Scheme is being implemented in 57 PHCs of nine tribal districts.
During the year of 2010-11, 969 pregnant mothers availed services of Maher Ghar. The number of beneficiaries in 2011-12, is 1,744. National Rural Health Missionhas sanctioned Rs. 76 Lakhs for implementation of Maher room scheme in 2012-13. During the year of 2012-13, 1788 mothers availed services up to December 2012.